Author + information
- Received September 21, 2009
- Revision received January 7, 2010
- Accepted January 20, 2010
- Published online July 1, 2010.
- Bushra S. Rana, MD⁎,
- Martyn R. Thomas, MD‡,
- Patrick A. Calvert, BMBCh, MA⁎,†,⁎ (, )
- Mark J. Monaghan, PhD§ and
- David Hildick-Smith, MD∥
- ↵⁎Reprint requests and correspondence:
Dr. Patrick A. Calvert, Research and Development, Papworth Hospital National Health Service Foundation Trust, Papworth Everard, Cambridge, CB23 3RE, United Kingdom
High-quality imaging of the atrial septum has never been so relevant to the adult cardiologist. This article focuses on the role of echocardiography in the evaluation of patent foramen ovale for closure. It provides a systematic and comprehensive approach to transesophageal echocardiographic study in such a patient. The salient information required for planning the device and equipment needed for the closure procedure are discussed.
- Received September 21, 2009.
- Revision received January 7, 2010.
- Accepted January 20, 2010.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation