Author + information
- Received November 13, 2015
- Revision received February 12, 2016
- Accepted February 18, 2016
- Published online April 1, 2016.
- Christopher Naoum, MBBS, PhDa,
- Philipp Blanke, MDa,
- Danny Dvir, MDb,
- Philippe Pibarot, DVM, PhDc,
- Karin Humphries, MBA, DScb,
- John Webb, MDb and
- Jonathon Leipsic, MDa,b,∗ ()
- aDivision of Radiology, St Paul’s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- bDivision of Cardiology, St Paul’s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- cQuebec Heart and Lung Institute/Institut de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
- ↵∗Reprint requests and correspondence:
Dr. Jonathon Leipsic, St. Paul’s Hospital, University of British Columbia, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver V6Z 1Y6, Canada.
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) has become the standard of care for patients with hemodynamically severe aortic stenosis who are symptomatic but deemed too high risk for surgery. Recent reports suggest that sex differences exist in outcomes following TAVR and in the diagnostic imaging evaluation of patients being considered for TAVR. In this review, the authors explore the differences between men and women in baseline characteristics and outcomes following TAVR, as well as sex differences in the imaging findings of severe aortic stenosis (AS) including the diagnostic challenges in the hemodynamic assessment of severe AS in elderly women, differences in aortic valvular calcification and in the associated myocardial response to severe AS. Additionally, sex differences in imaging findings as they relate to post-TAVR complications including coronary obstruction, annular rupture and prosthesis–patient mismatch are also discussed.
Dr. Blanke is a consultant for Edwards Lifesciences, Circle Imaging, Tendyne Holdings, and Neovasc; and provides core lab services for Edwards Lifesciences. Dr. Dvir is a consultant for Edwards Lifesciences and Medtronic. Dr. Pibarot has received research funding from and provides core lab services for Edwards Lifesciences. Dr. Webb is a consultant for Edwards Lifesciences. Dr. Leipsic is a consultant to Heartflow, Samsung, Circle CVI, Philips Healthcare, and Edwards Lifescience; and provides core lab services for Edwards Lifesciences, Neovasc, Tendyne, and GDS. Drs. Naoum and Humphries have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- Received November 13, 2015.
- Revision received February 12, 2016.
- Accepted February 18, 2016.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation
- Baseline Clinical Profile and Clinical Outcomes Following TAVR in Women
- Echocardiographic Evaluation of Hemodynamics in Women With Severe AS and Sex Differences Among Patients Presenting for TAVR
- AVC on CT in Women With AS
- The Myocardial Response to Severe AS in Women
- Sex Differences in Imaging Findings Performed for Pre-TAVR Evaluation
- TAVR Versus SAVR in Women